Thanet Extension Offshore Wind Farm
Vattenfall is currently developing a proposal for an extension to the existing and operational Thanet Offshore Wind Farm in Kent.
Thanet Offshore Wind Farm is a 100-turbine development with a generating capacity of 300 MW that has been operational since 2010. The proposed extension will involve the installation and operation of up to 34 turbines on the edges of the existing wind farm with an additional generating capacity of 340 MW. The DCO application includes the offshore and onshore electrical transmission infrastructure. The application was submitted to the Planning Inspectorate on 27 June 2018.
GoBe were contracted by Vattenfall as the lead EIA consultant for Thanet Extension Offshore Wind Farm. Key services included:
- Production and implementation of a rigorous evidence plan to minimise the environmental and consenting risk through the DCO process.
- Project management and coordination of the production of the EIA Report programme and deliverables;
- Management of a team of technical sub-consultants for both the offshore and onshore elements of the Project.
- Delivery of a number of technical chapters using in-house GoBe specialists such as, water quality, benthic ecology, fish and shellfish, infrastructure and other users, offshore designated sites and public health.
- Production of introductory and summary chapters and a number of ancillary documents including the HRA and stakeholder consultation report.
- Management of stakeholder consultation and public consultation events and onshore-landowner interactions.
The application was formally submitted to the Planning Inspectorate on 27 June 2018.
GoBe continue to support Vattenfall through the examination phase providing written responses to questions posed by the Examining Authority, representation during hearings and expert witnesses as required.